Kamal Haasan’s name missing


CHENNAI: Among names missing on voters’ list is actor Kamal Haasan’s. Keen on exercising his franchise, he cancelled his travel plans on Tuesday, to find that his name does not figure on the list.

Speaking to The Hindu on Wednesday, he said: “As an average citizen, as one of the hundred crore people in the country, I am truly concerned. I do not mean to ask ‘I am a star, how can you exclude my name?’ All I am asking is why should anyone’s name be left out?”

Mr.Haasan says he is not the only one who is facing the problem. “I know several who are worried about their names being left out. My friend Mr.Gnanasammandam’s name in Madurai is also missing.”

In fact,to make sure he gets to vote, he had even spoken to actor Napolean a month ago. “I have been urging everyone I know to vote, and my name is not there. When I check now, I get lame reasons. They apparently thought I had vacated my home. I have been living on Eldams road for 50 years now. The voter turnout in Mumbai was about 43 per cent. When people who genuinely want to participate in this democratic exercise are denied their chance, what do we do? Even today, they told me ‘Vaaippu illa’ (there is no chance). Who is giving who a chance here? They don’t understand our tolerance. This is such a serious issue!”

According to the officials of the Chennai Corporation the voter should be a resident to have his name on the electoral rolls. Mr.Kamal Haasan does not reside in the given address, said a senior official of the Chennai Corporation.

Chennai Corporation had prepared a list of 8,000 eminent personalities residing in various localities of the city.

As and when a citizen shifts his/her residence, it is necessary to delete the name of the elector from the rolls, says the official. Verification also becomes necessary in order to prevent bogus vote in the name of the person not residing in the particular constituency, said the official.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Realme X50 5G launched in China: Rs 26,000 for 120Hz display, 5G connectivity and 30W fast charging

Samsung Galaxy A9 Star Pro Tipped to Sport 4 Rear Cameras and Bixby Button, Galaxy A7 (2018) With 3 Cameras Leaked

4G VoLTE devices in India